One of my favorite things is finding new music. I love categorizing things, so let me break down the different ways that I find new music:
1. Coming across a band I never heard of online, or through a friend.
2. Finally listening to music by a band that I've heard of for years, but I never felt the need to try out, and now that I've finally relented I realize that I LOVE their music
3. Bands that have one or two songs that you know well, but you never heard anything else from them, and when you finally get your hands on the full album, you realize that they have a bunch of great songs
My top discoveries over the past year and a half are:
1. Paramore - "Riot": I never heard of Paramore before this year, and I saw on some music blog that they are great so I downloaded the album. I wasn't disappointed. Great stuff. I'd describe it as a less-gloomy Evanescence.
2. Descendents - "Cool to Be You": I never heard of the Descendents before, but heard of them through friends. Loved the music. I was surprised that I never heard of them before bec theyve been around for so long. Favortie song: "'Merican". Awesome workout song. I love the line:
"i'm proud and ashamed
every fourth of july
you've got to know the truth
before you say that you've got pride"
Listen to them if you like Green Day or The Offspring.
3. Dashboard Confessional - "The Places You Have Come to Fear The Most": I've heard of Dashboard Confessional before, but I never heard any of their music. This album is great. It has a very raw feeling with great lyrics.
I can keep going, but I don't want this post to be 2 pages long:)
To be continued......
I love to hear what obscure music other people listen to. What are your hidden gems?